Wednesday 18 February 2015

Photographer Research- Tomas Barbey

Photographer Information 

Thomas Barbèy grew up in Geneva, Switzerl. Tomas Barbey designed posters for musical bands, Before deciding to move to Italy, where he lived in Milan for 15 years making a living as a successful recording artist, lyricist and fashion photographer. More recently, he has been doing Black and White Photomontages for the sole purpose of doing Fine Art, without working for a specific client.

He has combined several images taken over a period of twenty years to create surreal situations with the help of the enlarger in a dark room. His work has a specific style and is very characteristic. He only works with Black and White, including Sepia toning at times.

Every single one of his images has to pass what he likes to call the “So what?” test. If a combination of two or more negatives put together does't touch him or have any particular meaning, he starts over. At times, he tries to combine images and sometimes the results can be disappointing. A giant clock in the middle of the ocean can be an unusual image, but if he looks at it and says to himself, “So what?”, this means it isn't good enough.” If, instead, an ocean liner is going down a “funnel-type” hole and he titles it “Shortcut to China”, it takes on a whole new meaning. The picture takes you into an imaginary world where you can see the captain telling the passengers to fasten their safety belts and get prepared for the descent, and so on.

At times Thomas comes up with ideas beforehand, try to materialize them and it works. At other times, it comes as an accident, where the ideas come afterwards, when the image is already finished and the concept has yet to be understood. Thomas claims he is learning constantly through the process of creation.

Sometimes he uses an image several years later, but only when it fits, like the perfect piece in a puzzle, and completes his latest project. Thomas exhibits in galleries throughout the world and is included in many private collections.

Why I chose this Photographer

I choose Tomas Barbey as I found his combining of images to be a good way to look at photomontage. I think that this is a good way to join two different images in a way which makes sense and looks good. Also many of his photo manipulation pieces inspired me and I found to be quite interesting and made me question the different techniques he used. I feel if I research more into his it could help me improve my work through out this project and provide inspiration within my pieces 

Photographer Examples


I like how this image combines the two very different images and how smooth and create they are joined. I find it interesting how it makes you think about the person and the message being put across by the artist which could be read differently by each individual. This image makes me think about superman and some superman poster due to the positioning of the person and the way of there hands. I like how it makes you see that underneath people can hide the unexpected. 



I like how this image is another example of a creative way to combined two images which would not normally be associated. The transition form one image to the next is smooth and doesn't appear to fake. I like how this images approaches photomontage and displays the surrealism side of it. I think that this image is a prime example how Tomas Barbey tackles this photography topic i'm a different way to others and tests realities within his work. 




I like the effect created due to the way in which this image has been edited and that way in which it is shown. I like how the image placed inside shows a place where you unwind and relax and to get there you have to unzip the person almost releasing any stress and falling into a better surrounding. I find the way in which this image has been placed within the other to be very creative and can could be interpreted in a few different ways and the message it portrays. 



I image about has blended two images together and made them flow into one image. I think this is an interesting way to show two different objects within an image and match perfectly. I like how the person is full yet the other object shown in the image has been eaten and has missing pieces.

Influence 

Tomas Barbey has influenced my work by broadening the idea of which images would work together and could be used to create an exciting image. I think that by looking at his work he has made me stretch and help we step out of a comfort zone and approach this project in a unique way.

Summary 

Overall I find Tomas Barbey to have been an interesting photographer to research and look into. I think that not only his work but messages and thought he puts behind his images reflects in his work. Providing inspiration for others within his ideas and way he works. 

No comments:

Post a Comment