Wednesday 18 February 2015

Photographer Research- David Hockney

Photographer Information 

Known for his photo collages and paintings of Los Angeles swimming pools, David Hockney is considered one of the most influential British artists of the 20th century.
He attended art school in London before moving to Los Angeles in the 1960s. In the 1970s, Hockney began working in photography, creating photo collages he called joiners.
While working on a painting of a Los Angeles living room, he took a series of photos for his own reference, and fixed them together so he could paint from the image. When he finished, however, he recognized the collage as an art form unto itself, and began to create more.
Hockney was an adept photographer, and he began working with photography more extensively. By the mid 1970s, he had all but abandoned painting in favor of projects involving photography, lithographs, and set and costume design for the ballet, opera and theater.

Why I chose this Photographer

 I choose David Hockney due to his unique take on multiple imagery and photojoiner. I think his work will help me learn different ways in which I can use photojoiner and multiple imagery and widen my ideas for this technique due to the creative way in which he represents it.

Photographer Examples


This image is an example of the way in which David Hockney created photojoiner pieces in his work. I like how each photo is only a small section and each photo would be of a small section and show a lot of detail. I think by using this many zoomed in images it creates an image which looks like to have had a great deal of time spent on it and creates a good image. I like how some smaller images placed in this photojoiner are lighter or darker and create some contrast and variation within the images which involve very similar areas. 


I like how two image have been placed potentially outside the area of the photojoiner as if seen as more important and wanted to be highlighted. I also think that by using this technique it can display only wanted areas. For example, like the image above it only has the person shown and doesn't waste space on not filled areas. A artist can show what it wants the view to purely focus on.



I like the way in which he has approached this image. I think the images collected could have been used for a good photojoiner however have been placed in this large multiple image. I think by placing these images in a multiple image it created a fascinating and creative image. I think by doing this the slightly difference in zoom and tones from each image create the unusual effect. 



I like how this image has slightly lighter areas around the guitar and highlights detail. I think by creating this effect in the image it can zoom in on certain objects or interesting areas to maximize focus on these areas and objects. I like how this image also creates divisions within the image in my mind, for example I see the flowers, fruit bowl and guitar as more divided then I would if they was one simple image. I think that by almost pulling a section apart and putting it back together in this creative view on the technique can create a possibly quite boring and plain photograph and adapt it to produce a more detailed and interesting photo. 

Influence 

David Hockney has influence the way in which I will structure my multiple imagery and photojoiner's. I think he has been a creative influence and inspired me to develop and expand my ideas within this area of work.  

Summary 

To summarise this photographer I think that he has very creative pieces and way of exploring different photomontage techniques. I like the way in which he joins images which reflect one certain area which normally would only be shown in one image. However he seems to pull apart a section and adjust size and tones slightly to enhance the uniqueness of his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment